Friday, October 22, 2010

Taeya Updates

Dear Friends and Family,

It has been a very busy day for Taeya.  Last night, around 11:00 or so, Taeya decided it was time to wake up.  She would stir and try to focus on me and fall back to sleep.  The evening shift nurse told me they had come up with a plan to wean Taeya off the ventilator so she would not become dependent on it.  Every hour or so, they would step down the breaths they were giving her, making her work for her breaths all that much more.

They had told me last night that they would call me if they were going to remove her breathing tube, but she got so feisty that they ended up removing it quickly at 6:00 this morning.  With that, they removed the NG tube.

About an hour later they removed the large butterfly clip attached to the large in the artery in her neck.  I'm trying to use laymen's terms for those that want to follow that that don't speak medicalese!

I was so excited when I saw her at 9:00 this morning.  They allowed me to feed her 2 oz of milk!  That was the best feeling to cradle her in my arm (I still haven't been able to hold her) and feed her.  About and hour and a half later I was able to feed her another 1 1/2 oz.  Another great time.

I had to go get a cord for the computer so I can have contact with people outside the hospital and was gone less than an hour.  I came back excited to feed Taeya, and she has his a little bump in the road.  The fluid draining from her lungs is now a milky color, indicating that the fats from the milk she had are spilling into her lung cavity via the lymph, if I'm understanding correctly.  This mean she will likely need to be moved to a fat free formula for 10 to 16 weeks.  Very sad for this nursing mom, for sure, but whatever is best for her is what we are going to do.

Taeya has been awake for some time today.  She can stay awake and make good eye contact for about 5 to 10 minutes at a time.  It's really very reassuring to see her wake up and recognize me.

There are so many more things to share, along with lots of photos.  I'll start to upload them now.  We really appreciate all your prayers and ask that you please continue interceding for Taeya.

Every blessing,

Linda

3 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled to hear that she is doing so well! I wish I were there to support you in a more tangable way. I love you! Praying for you all:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Today's been encouraging, but the news of her feeding is starting to hit me. Thank you for praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be okay. Grab your Bible and start speaking those healing scriptures over her. Proclaim life over her and rebuke and bind the enemy.

    ReplyDelete